Sunday, December 2, 2012

What I've Learned so far by being natural!!!

I've been natural for several months (2). and it has had it's ups and downs but if I have learned anything it is that you have to have a lot of patience. Patience is the key while dealing with natural hair because it takes time and a lot of TLC! I bc'd and wanted my hair back but it'll eventually grow back and when it does it'll be longer and healthier than ever. Now to grow long hair you will have to have patience because it will not grow down your back over night! Next, I've learned that you have to keep your hair moisturized (hydrated)! Water if your friend but don't just put water on your hair you need to use a sealant to keep the moisture in! (My favorite sealants are jojoba oil, Castor oil, raw Shea butter, extra virgin olive oil). Next that you need to keep your ends trimmed or dusted because the ends of your hair does tend to become more dry especially in cooler weather and you can do more harm than good if you have dry, and brittle hair) So keep those ends healthy as well. Next I've learned that you should not over shampoo your hair it's OK to use shampoo but make sure your shampoo is free of sulfates. I normally just co-wash (co-washing is using conditioner instead of shampoo to wash your hair). Some shampoos can strip your hair of natural oils if they contain sulfates. Then, I know when doing natural hair you always want to put your hands in your hair but low manipulation styles are the best. But when doing a style make sure that you are not putting to much stress on your scalp and hair. Pulling your hair to tight can cause you to damage your hair and your edges pretty bad. Also be mindful of the hair accessories because they can damage your hair. I'm not saying don't use hair accessories but be careful of the ones that you do use. Another thing is to avoid hard bristle brushes and combs. Not saying that you can use combs or brushes but be mindful of them I suggest that you use a Denman brush it's about $10 from Sally's. This brush has helped my detangling process to become shorten and easier. It's okay to use a brush and or a wide tooth comb but try to limit the use of those products! Also you are what you eat. So I suggest that you eat lots of proteins, and your hair can and will reflect that. Also try to get some exercise in even if it means parking out in no mans land at the grocery store. And last but not least   BE PATIENT!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment